Micrel Eliminates Dual-Stage Conversion For Point-Of-Load Applications With High-Efficiency, Wide-Input Switching Regulator IC
Newest Member Of SuperSwitcher II(TM) Family Has Micrel’s Hyper Speed Control(TM) Delivering Ultra-Fast Transient Response And Minimizing Output Capacitance While Achieving Highest Power Density
Micrel Inc., (Nasdaq:MCRL), an industry leader in analog, high-bandwidth communications and Ethernet IC solutions, is now supporting volume quantities of the MIC28510, a wide-input synchronous switching regulator IC that provides step-down conversion with:
- better than 94 percent peak efficiency
- from an input voltage as high as 75V
- with maximum output current of 4A.
This solution eliminates the need for a costly dual-stage conversion approach for point-of-load applications. The MIC28510 delivers up to 100W of power in a 13cm2 device – a new standard for power density.
Benefiting from Micrel’s proprietary adaptive on-time control architecture, the MIC28510 provides ultra-fast transient response for today’s demanding applications such as base stations, Power-over-Ethernet, home security systems and solar inverters. The MIC28510 integrates features like:
- high-side and low-side power switches (to provide a highly efficient output down to 0.8V
- a programmable switching frequency of up to 500 kHz
- an enable pin for very low power shutdown
- internal soft start
- under-voltage lockout and internal compensation
The MIC28510 is also Any Capacitor stable independent of output ESR, thus solving the stability problem power supply designers face with distributed output capacitance.
The device also provides a host of protection features such as:
- pre-bias safe start-up
- over temperature protection
- fold-back current limit
- short circuit protection
- a -40-deg C to 125-deg C junction temperature range.
The MIC28510 is available in a lead free 28-Lead 5mm x 6mm MLF(R) package.